Monday, March 16, 2009

Keeping in practice...

I used to play the flute. I say, “used to” because it has been quite some time since I even attempted to play, and without practice, I have forgotten some of the fingerings and my breath control is certainly not what it was.

I don’t want this to happen to my art, so although I haven’t had a chance to paint lately, I am trying to keep in practice by drawing a little something every day. A fellow artist gave me the idea, when he showed me his miniature journal. He is very organized about the process and draws something specific every day. For example, one day he paints “mammals,” another day he paints “reptiles,” another day “flowers”, another day, “sea life” etc. He prepares for the next day’s drawing session, by looking at reference materials the night before, and when he awakens in the morning, draws a somewhat abstract, warm up drawing of whatever his subject is for the day, then he draws a second drawing with more detail. Both drawings are small, about 3” x 3”.

I’ve not gotten so organized yet, but like I said, I have at least picked up a pen and paper and drawn…part of a plant, the ceiling fan, a corner of a table, a doorway...


My drawings are not detailed, but at least they are keeping me in practice until I can paint again….

No comments: