Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Tribute to Francis

I met Francis one year at my friend and mentor, Deb Festa’s Open Studio Art Tour. Francis was out in Deb’s courtyard, greeting everyone and making them feel welcome. I didn’t know Francis well, but I know that he was a warm, generous man with a huge heart. Over time, I got to know him better, as Deb would share with me about her Dad. Francis was a very creative man – he was a photographer, writer, gardener, and he loved making and improving upon things.

Francis is on my heart today, because he is no longer with us on this earth, but his memory lives on today in a single flower – an iris. Francis evidently had a love for irises, because he had a huge iris garden. After his death, his daughter Deb, dug up some of the irises from his home, and brought them to her home to plant. Deb in her typical generous way, shared some of the irises with my husband and I, and we planted a special Iris garden in the front of our home. The first iris just bloomed, and it is a beauty. It’s funny how a simple flower can spark so much thought and emotion. I’m thankful for my friend Deb, for her open arms and open heart. She drew me in and captured my heart. I’m thankful for Deb’s family – they truly are an amazing family, and I’m thankful for Deb’s Dad, Francis. I think of him and I feel lifted up. He lived fully, encouraged much and was so very warm and kind.

I will be painting this iris as a tribute to Francis. As I proceed with the painting, I will post it so you can see it.



For today, I encourage you to express your heart of gratitude to our great God who gives us life…and love.

Deborah

No comments: