Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Let's start at the very beginning...

Since this is my first post, I thought I'd give you a little background. I went through my childhood and early adult years thinking I was artistically challenged. I worked in a job where I had to give presentations, and when it came time to “illustrate” my point, people would always laugh at my attempts to draw on the board. Thankfully I learned about a class called “Drawing for the No Talent Artist” that was being offered at the local Adult School. I signed up for the class and learned to see as an artist. The instructor was wonderful and everyone in the class did really well. That class opened up a door and I have been learning ever since!

I enjoy painting portraits of people, pets, places and favorite things, and have done a number of commissions. Unfortunately, as I began painting commissions, I didn’t realize the importance of keeping photos, so many of my early works exist only in the form of the finished painting.

In 2007 I decided it was time to get serious about my art and I set the goal of getting into a gallery before I turned 50. Well, I met my goal and actually was accepted into two galleries and participated in an art show before that blessed event! In 2008 I participated in “Art in the Park” and “Open Studio” art shows, and learned just how much time and dedication it takes to put your self out there.

My goal in 2009 is to focus once again on portraits. They are what I truly love and I welcome the opportunity to touch people’s hearts and lives with a portrait.

My art blog will be dedicated to my journey as an artist. I will include portraits and paintings…process and thoughts.
I hope you will join me in this journey and check back often!

2 comments:

saundra C. said...

test comment

saundra C. said...

Debra I thoroughly enjoy your different art styles! You're so personal with describing your dress series and how it got started with your Mom's simple elegant dress! Neat memory! I saw your series at the Dinosaur Park Art Show and fell in love with the feeling of your dresses.

How fun to know you've started doing the girly purses and shoes... can't wait to take a look at the purse frames!

I also saw some of your handmade watercolor Christmas cards and ornaments out in the community and thought they too were so charming and well done! You have a knack for matching the picture frames with your art!

Now as far as your portraits, my favorite one is of your husband and your cat! I had the pleasure of seeing the incredible resemblance of your husband at the SLO Open Studio Tour at your home! Wow! Your dog portraits are so warm and endearing that I would like you to do a portrait of my precious dog.

You touch peoples lives Debra and I just wanted you to know that! I look forward to checking out your work at the Marina Gallery this Friday. How fun!!! See you there and we can talk about the portrait of my dog, o.k.?
Saundra