Friday, January 16, 2009

Why a Chicken?




Are you wondering why I have a chicken portrait on my blog header? Well, when my husband and I moved into our home 18 years ago, our neighbors gave us two baby chicks as a housewarming gift. Growing up in the city, I had no idea that chickens were for anything other than eating, but these chickens became pets and we loved them dearly.

The first two chickens were named Margaret and Alberta, after my husband’s two spinster aunts. They were wonderful, but eventually chicken heaven called Margaret and we were left with Alberta. We couldn’t have just one chicken, so we got another baby chick and named her Hope. When it was evident that Alberta wasn’t long for this world we got a baby chick and named her Faith. So, there we were with Faith, Hope and Alberta. It turned out that Faith was a sitter and would sit for days on end on her eggs in her nest. Problem was we didn’t have a rooster, so she sat in vain. We decided to “help” the situation out a bit and replace two of her eggs with fertilized eggs. Unfortunately we couldn’t find any so we did the next best thing. We purchased two baby bard rock chicks. That’s when the fun began…

That night, my husband and I went out to the chicken house, removed a couple of Faith’s eggs and replaced them with the baby chicks. Faith slept through the whole thing. The next morning I ran out to the chicken house and waited for Faith to realize that she had two babies. Before long, she felt movement and as only a chicken can do, bawked a welcome to her new babies.

Faith was a great Mom and she and her chicks hold a special place in our hearts.

…and that is the story of the chicken portrait.

No comments: