Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Introducing: What's on my easel...

Welcome to my new Tuesday post, "What's on my easel", where I will be sharing about the things that I am working on at the moment.

  1. A commissioned watercolor pet portrait (unfortunately I can’t post an image because I don’t have the owner’s permission). The portrait is being built up layer- by-layer and quite tight.
  2. A non-commissioned pet portrait of a welsh terrior. This is more of a practice piece and is being done in watercolor, following a more direct painting method. I started with a washy background and let it dry, then wet a large area on the dog and added a LOT of paint to it, in 2 to 4 colors (side-by-side or dropped on top of another color) and let it mix on the paper. The sections were divided into tail, hind right leg, front and shoulders, back and belly, and head. There is more to do, so check back for an update…



From the jewelry box…

I just completed a wire-wrapped bracelet for a friend. She has a family home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and she loves all things Southwest, including turquoise jewelry. Sharon, at Beads of Sharon, introduced me to “mosaic turquoise” – it is made from turquoise that has been mined and cut, then the remaining bits of stone are "repurposed" and pressed together (somehow), to form a beautiful mosaic bead. No part of the stone is wasted, and it is really quite beautiful. I thought it was unusual and fit the bill perfectly! Happy Birthday Michelle!

Quote for the day: “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” Scott Adams

No comments: